I am now offering voice lessons out of my home studio in Durham, North Carolina while I earn my master’s degree in jazz studies/vocal performance at North Carolina Central University. A few benefits of working with me:
- All ages and ability levels are welcome. I have experience working with kids from ages 6 to 18, as well as adults. I learned to sing and play guitar at 22 (I’m now 30) and I remember what it’s like to be a beginner! I can also help intermediate and advanced singers hone their skills and set goals.
- Focus on the songs and genres that YOU are most interested in! I offer expertise in pop, folk, Americana, country, blues, and jazz vocal styles.
- Record yourself and monitor your progress! My home studio includes recording software and high quality microphones so that we can record your progress as you take lessons with me. You can even share the recordings with your friends and family, put them on Soundcloud, share them on Facebook – whatever you like!
- Learn to write your own songs! In addition to being a vocalist I am also a songwriter with two albums of original material published and available online wherever music is sold. I can help you to get your ideas out onto the page and then onto the guitar or piano. We can also record your original songs during your lessons.
- Learn to accompany yourself on guitar or piano while you take voice lessons. I believe that students will gain the greatest benefit from voice lessons if they also learn a little bit about music along the way! This includes gaining the ability to play an instrument. My home studio includes a keyboard and two guitars that students are welcome to try out during their lessons if they don’t have an instrument of their own yet.
- Learn to read music while you take voice lessons. Interested in reading music but have no idea what’s involved? We can delve into the basics of deciphering music notation so that it won’t be a mystery anymore. I can also offer assistance with sight reading for choir students who are preparing for auditions, as well as ear training exercises to build your aural skills.
- Flexible hours available. I am in school so I have a flexible schedule, with options for morning, afternoon or evening lessons as well as weekend lessons. We will find a time that works best for you!
- Waiting room for parents accompanying their children to lessons. I have a comfortable living room where parents are welcome to hang out while their kids are in lessons with me.
- $25 per half hour lesson or $50 per hour lesson
- Discounts available if you’d like to pay monthly rather than weekly
I am currently earning a master’s degree in jazz studies/vocal performance at North Carolina Central University and studying under the acclaimed jazz vocalist and vocal jazz educator Lenora Helm Hammonds. I have performed for the past two years as a member of the North Carolina Central University Vocal Jazz Ensemble, performing everywhere from Carolina Theater for Durham’s Art of Cool Festival to a global music conference in Natal, Brazil! I am featured on the Vocal Jazz Ensemble’s newest recording, Take Note (2017).
I also am an accomplished songwriter and solo artist; I have released two full albums of original material (available on iTunes, Pandora, etc.) and have experience recording in a studio setting. I have performed solo and with various ensembles across North Carolina and Texas over the past 10 years. Currently I perform as a jazz duo with guitarist Nelson Johns, and also as a member of an all-female folk trio called The Gingersnaps!
I have taught singing, piano, and guitar to students of all ages and ability levels at Durham’s Let There Be Rock School and Apex Rock ‘n’ Roll High School for two years now. I now feel I have the experience necessary to teach out of my own home studio.
Can’t wait to get started? Email me at email@example.com and we will set up a first lesson consultation to discuss your goals, assess your current ability level, and get to know each other. I look forward to meeting with you!